Thursday, January 15, 2009

A New Year

Christian is sooooo strong!!!! He can actually bring his knees down to his elbows and then straighten his legs upward again. What a hoot!!!!
Here are my sweet little kids sitting on the couch together. Karissa has been reading a section of a Junie B....First Grader book each evening to the kids. It was the one for Christmas "Junie B....First Grader...Jingle Bells....Batman Smells....(and so does May)". This book was so adorable. They love all the Junie B. books. Katie is picking up on reading at an amazing speed. She has now progressed to first grade work. Little Katie Aunna places herself next to her big sister so she can follow the words with the help of Karissa's finger guiding her along. She is one smart kid!!!

My beautiful teenagers....Little Trisha and my handsome Casey. They are growing up soooo fast. I must say that they are excellent students in home school and far above their peers. But, isn't that the whole purpose of home school? The first semester I turned them on to the movie "Fall of the Roman Empire". Today, they watched "Doctor Zhivago" and oh what an effect it had on them. They have gained a new respect for the people of Russia!!! It was a great day of school. We did all of our paperwork in the morning. Then we watched the Russian Revolution bring in the rise of Communism in the afternoon. Following the movie, they did some computer research, regarding how the Soviet Union fell and what effects that had on the Russian people. Anyway....the New Year of academics is unfolding as planned thus far.

I just wanted to make a short post since it has been so long. I do apologize for the delays. Actually, I have not been feeling very well. My doctor has run several tests to see why I am having persistent heart burn. Of course, it couldn't be our nine children and two businesses that give me heartburn...ha ha!!! I go in to see my doc tomorrow for results of the blood-work, scope, ultra sounds, and scans. Keep us in your prayers and I will certainly let you know what comes of it all.

Today seems like the perfect opportunity to say how thankful we are for the last year. 2008 has had many challenges and a great deal of pleasure with Katie Aunna joining our family. She is just the most precious little girl and fits so perfectly within our family. I have yet to see a happier child. She still tells me that she loves me many times during the day. Her relationship seems quite different with me than the adoption adjustment which occurred with the other children. We went through all the classical bonding processes with all of our other adoptions. But, with Katie, it seems that the honeymoon phase is more of a way of life for her. I don't think we will ever leave this phase.

Katie Aunna gets up happy in the morning and goes to bed happy each night. It is so different to adopt an older child compared to babies. She has an appreciation of her home, that babies who grow up in a family, seem to expect "family life" rather matter-of-fact. Katie, on the other hand, marvels at her new life and appreciates every kiss, hug, or snuggle she gets from us. Also, she loves her brothers and sisters and enjoys being with them so very much. Katie Aunna is a loyal and kind family member. It's hard to imagine that such a relationship could be repeated. Her spirit is so lovely!!! It is as though she has always been a part of this family.

So, as we have left 2008 behind us....we fervently look forward to the blessings in store for 2009 and give our great God the praise and glory for His kindness in giving Katie Aunna to us. I hope everyone has enjoyed the holidays as much as we have with our new daughter....the Arctic Princess....HRH Katie Aunna!!!! I want to mention that all of our children have warmly welcomed their new sibling with open arms and love her dearly. Many blessings to you and yours.....The Gartner Family

1 comment:

Zactly said...

Hi Trisha,
We will keep you in our prayers. Hope the Dr. is able to find your heartburn source and fix it for you. You have a beautiful family, and they are very fortunate to have you and Duane as their parents.
blessings,
Vickie