Monday, May 11, 2009

Mother's Day


Yesterday was so nice!!! We all got dressed and went to church. The service was lovely and it so touched my heart. I looked down the pew at my children who were paying attention ever so sweetly. Kisty and her family sat in the pew behind us. At one point in the service Fr. Carlos called the mothers to the front of the church and prayed over us. As I stood beside Kisty, it was difficult not to cry. Here was my grown child, my first born, who had made me a mother thirty-two years ago. This child had also made me a grandmother of two beautiful little girls.
My eyes wandered up to the alter and to the image of Our Lady. I admired her and wondered how she could have been so strong and obedient to God to allow her child to be a Sacrificial Lamb to save the people of a sinful world!!! I know she knew the magnitude of that punishment to be dealt to her Son. I am so thankful she was a courageous woman and mother. Because, I often find myself in need of God's forgiveness for my daily sins. I try to be the best Christian mother I can and do what is best for my children. But, I sometimes fall short in my walk with Christ who died for me.
As a loving mother, when my children are hurt it hurts me. I prefer to think that none will pass away before me, but I know it happens. After all, Duane and I lost our baby twins due to prematurity in 1990. I thought of that pain as I stood before the alter Sunday. How unnatural that loss felt. Parents feel that they will not pass away before their child or children. Holy Mary felt that same unnatural feeling of losing her child before her own end to time. My heart ached. I felt a true gratitude that she did not grab her child and run off with him. Or piteously beg for Him to go away with her and avoid this end to His life. But, she did not do that and she was brave when she followed Him all the way to the cross.
Finally, as the Mother's Day Blessing ended and they began to pass out a gift to all of us standing at that alter, I thought of my own dear mother who had passed away in March 2005. I don't like to recall that my mother is gone from my sight although she lives in my heart all the days of my life. A booklet was placed into my hand and we all returned to our seats. I turned around with the other women and there sat all my beautiful little children with huge smiles on their faces.
They beamed of pride that "I" am their mother. Each one reaching out a little hand to greet me from my brief absence from them. Welcoming me back into our pew and it felt so comforting. My heart just soared with gladness to be their mother. We all settled back into our worship and I had a fresh new heart cleaned by a brief visit with God, Jesus, and His Mother, Mary. The day was wonderful right up to bedtime. Please, keep the children of the world who have no mother in your prayers. God's many blessings to you!!!

No comments: