Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Burrowing Owl


"Tuffy The Owl" so named for his remarkable skills at surviving. This is not our owl....but, a picture of one just like Tuffy. In person, their eyes are more green than yellow. But, the one pictured above, has fluffy down on his chest like the young owl we rescued on Monday.....

Day before yesterday I was sitting on the patio watching the children swim. I heard a crying noise that was similar to screeching and crying. Initially I thought it was some of the baby Prairie Dogs fussing with each other. They often make a crying type of screaming andbarking noise with each other when they fuss;-). I guess kids will be kids no matter what!!! So, I just ignored it for a while. But, as it continued I became concerned.
When I went out into the driveway, behind our house, I found a baby (just old enough to begin learning to fly) Burrowing owl lying in a small area of shade. The hot summer sun was just about to be fully upon him. I was so shocked as I squatted down next him. He was making direct eye contact with me and whining. I felt so sorry for him and asked "Awe...poor little fellow...do you want me to help you?" He tipped his head to the side and continued to look at me and cry.
Usually, an injured animal who is wild will bite....he just laid his head down on my out stretched hand and cried. I have NEVER seen anything like this in a wild animal!!! Just about that time, Weldon came into the drive, bringing Gracie home, from her grooming. He takes Gracie for me and then brings her home to me each Monday. He got out of his truck and said "Oh, Mama, he is hurt. Look how he is looking at us!!! We have to do something for him. I can't believe he is acting so friendly. Does he need some water?"
Weldon, went into the house for water and a towel, while I shaded the little owl from the searing hot sun. This baby owl lapped up the water like a little dog would drink. We had a small plastic milk crate we placed him in and I began to make phone calls to find someone who could help us. When Duane got home from work and saw him it touched his heart as well. Turns out that Duane knew his secretary's mother is a conservationist. This wonderful woman set it up for "Tuffy" to go to the South Plains Rehabilitation Center in Lubbock, Texas.
They think he may have flown into something and has neurological damage as he can not fly. He was dehydrated and somehow managed to collapse in our driveway and there he cried for mercy. Now he is in professional hands, as the girls and I, drove him over to Lubbock for their expert care. These owls (like our tarantulas and horny toads) are becoming very limited and are on the endangered species list!!! They live in the tunnels of Prairie Dog holes and are nocturnal feeders. The Burrowing owls can be seen sitting on the edge of the holes next to our property in the early evenings between the months of about March through October.

No comments: