Monday, January 28, 2008

Little Mary Elizabeth





Mary Beth January 2008




















Mary in Borovichi

Mama and Mary in Borovichi

As the year went by I unpacked my house and we began to adjust to all these new life changes. But, I guess that's part of how we like things....on the go!!! The Christian web site which sponsors waiting orphans continued to draw my attention. It was as though I was drawn to this particular place. In fact, I wrote to the executive director of this site several times. I told her that I really referred her site to couples often. I also shared with her that I believed God wanted us to open our hearts and minds to an older child. But, so far I had been blessed with babies under age two years old. Believe me, I am not complaining, as it has been wonderful to have babies. It is just those DIAPERS get real tiring!!!!!

I also asked that should she have a waiting child, who came to her site and she felt I should know about the child, would she please contact me. During the summer and fall months she and I had various communications. Then she emailed to me and said she had a baby girl who was around a year and a half that had not had her picture posted to the site just yet. She thought maybe I might be interested. I wrote back to her and said we really think God has an older child in mind for us.

Well, this baby girl's photo was placed on the site and I fell in love with her. I could not move fast enough. We contacted the agency who had the waiting child listed on December 2, 2005. In February 2006, we traveled to meet our pretty baby girl. (Yes....we have began to think December through May has held a number of life changing events for us)!!!
When we traveled to Borovichi, Russia they were having the coldest winter in many years. The snow was horrible. It was so cold that I worried about our feet being frost bit....while in the van ride from Moscow to Borovichi. When I say it was a whirlwind trip....I mean that. We arrived in Moscow in the afternoon and checked into the airport hotel. About eight hours later the facilitator came and picked us up at around 2:00am. Borovichi is about six hours drive from Moscow. However, with all the record breaking snow on the road, it took us closer to eight hours.

The orphanage was typical...ran down on the outside, but cheerful and clean, on the inside. It was also the usual extreme heat inside. I am beginning to expect this when we go to Russia (or other EE countries). Duane and I were put into a little playroom and they came in with Mary Beth. We were so excited to see this darling little girl and she was not at all shy. In fact, she was a slight bit leery of Duane, but in no time she began to play toys with him. About two hours later, they came back in and told us our visitation time was up.

We then went to the director's office and were given her medical and family history. Then they asked if we wanted to adopt her. Of course, we had made up our minds to adopt her before we ever came. But, I was a bit disappointed that I only had a few hours with her and then back into the van. After another grueling eight hour drive we arrived late in the evening in Moscow. Six hours later we boarded a plane for America.

I learned something amazing during this adoption. It was very difficult to leave Mary, but we knew the drill. Hurry up and get there....then go home and wait!!!!! I came home and thought it would be another four month wait like for Annie Kate. I can not tell you how shocking it was when we received our court date for the end of March!!!

It felt like I had no sooner unpacked until I was packing for Russia again. Her adoption process was wonderful and the fastest process we have ever had. Court was also smooth as silk. We decided to stay a little extra time in Moscow and see some of the sights there. It was simply divine!!! Our Mary is quite the little stinker and we could not be any happier. I enjoy her every day and thank God for His generosity with us. Mary is the seventh child in our family.

No comments: