Saturday, February 21, 2009

Karissa's Surgery

Amarillo, Texas..Karissa and Katie before our flight to Dallas









































In the above picture...Karissa and Katie are in our Dallas hotel room the day before her surgery. I must say that Karissa and Katie are very close sisters. I look back on how so many people we know thought Duane and I were crazy to adopt another child. Now I can not imagine our life without Katie Aunna. She and Karissa have become best friends and adoring sisters.

The above picture was the night of Karissa's surgery. Katie was so stressed over Karissa that they both crashed out after we got back to our hotel room. Karissa put her ear on the pillow to drain and Katie snuggled close to her for comfort.

We are home now and Karissa's surgery is successfully completed. The doctor wants to see her again in one month. I am thinking Karissa and I will fly up and back in a day to help curb some of the expense associated with this process. It has surprised me that she is not in as much pain this time as in past surgeries on her ear.

The kids at home did quite well. Although, very little school work was accomplished while we were away. Next week, however, they can count on making up any area they have let fall behind. Katie and Karissa did not take any work with them either. Last week they all worked very hard on their school and so I am not too concerned over missing a few days.
This picture was taken before Karissa went into surgery. She was calm and ready to get on with it. What a brave little girl!!!

Here is the end result. Her biggest concern was typically "all girl"...don't shave any hair!!! I pulled it up to the side and they only shaved a small track for the incision. As can be seen, the incision is quite long encircling her ear. Thank you for the many prayers and keep them coming her way!!!

1 comment:

findingourdaughter said...

I hope your beautiful Karissa is doing well. I am so inspired and in awe of your family.....I would love to have a large family!
To find the banned list of Home Study agencies, I think someone on FRUA posted it. It is long, I haven't seen the whole list...I only knew that our HS agency was on it, UGH! I think the post is under "Russia" and then titled...."has anyone else heard about this"....
Praying your is NOT on it and you can go get your next little girl!
Hugs and God Bless,
Angie in FL