Friday, February 8, 2008

John-John Is Home One Year Today

John (with his beads on), Mary, and Mama in the airport.
Belgrade, Serbia


The Cat who ate the mouse grin in the airport.

Airport in Belgrade
Washington Dulles International Airport February 7th 2007
Duane was sitting in the airport looking like the CAT who just ate the MOUSE!!!! He was very satisfied with his son;-). We left Serbia and flew to Dulles as our port of entry. The flight home with two babies was difficult, to say the least. So, John-John became a USA Citizen on the 7th, and after an overnight layover in Denver, Colorado, walked into his new life on the 8th.
God ruled again and His control included all those involved in His Will.
On February 6th I finished packing our bags for the long journey home. I just could not stop admiring his new American visa. Soon he would become an American Citizen. Dr. J and her friend ("V") met us in the lobby that next morning of February 7th. We rode quietly, for the most part, to the airport. Dr. J., like Duane and I, had many emotional feelings. The "little blond boy with blue eyes" (as she referred to him) was leaving her country and she would likely only see pictures of him from here. She had attended to his care for two years of his life. Now it was my turn.
Both the babies were exhausted and were running on "go bye-bye" power....ha ha. We checked in our bags and said our goodbyes before we went to our gate. Funny little thing that happened before we flew out..... Duane and I had taken the elevator up to our gate. We both thought Dr. J and V had left the airport as we had separated and said goodbye on the first floor. As we strolled along I said to Duane..."Oh honey, he belongs to us after this flight to Washington!!!"
Duane looked at me and smiled so happily. We turned the corner where the security point was and when I glanced behind me I saw Dr. J and V. They were smiling from ear to ear. I guess, we were so excited to leave Serbia and come home, we failed to realize that the security point to our gate lay ahead. Dr. J and V had come up the escalator to say one last farewell and make sure we found our gate;-). Duane and I, turned in surprise, and we all giggled at each other. We stood there and visited just a few more moments before entering the restricted area. That would be the last time I would see our friend Dr. J.
Duane went into the gate area and sat in a chair. I strolled with John and Mary until our plane was ready to board. Once we were in the plane where the babies could stretch out, they fell fast asleep. Throughout, the long haul home, they mostly slept and ate. At one point, I got a couple of plane blankets and spread them on the floor. I let them sleep here for a few hours under our feet. The attendants did not like it very much, but, I didn't care. It was so crowded in coach!!!
Our cheapo tickets charged us for two adults and two children. However, we were assigned three seats together and the third seat was two rows ahead of us. No way!!! We were all so exhausted both physically and mentally. I had no intention of sitting alone with the babies or without them. So the four of us stuck it out in three seats transatlantic.
It was around noon when we landed in Dulles (Washington) and John's port of entry. Since, Serbia is eight hours ahead of the USA, it was still the 7th of February when we landed. I think instead of "The Longest Yard" these transatlantic adoption flights should be called "The Longest Day"....ha ha. Duane did his usual as we landed....He sang "America The Beautiful" to John-John and I had to wipe off a tear or two that ran silently down my cheek. Wonderful feeling when you get your child on home turf!!!! It just seals the deal and makes it all secure. From there the time flies!!!

During the day today, I often thought of how he is so different now, than that first day that I saw him last year. It was overwhelming back then and I thought he would be too much for me to handle. I must always consider that I have other special needs kids at home. So, having the faith to let God take me one step further, does not always come easily. But, God always makes sure I can handle what He entrusts to me. John-John is doing so much better than I predicted that first day. He just amazes me as he peels off the layers of his first two years of life in an institution. I just adore him. Happy first anniversary home....son!!!!

1 comment:

game and computer help said...

nice even the chpeo tickets comment was funny