Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Standing in Faith



The above photo was taken the night before our departure from Serbia. Papa had a long walk this day through the city (2-06-07).


Well, today is a quiet day for us and a little down time. The kids did their school for me with a lot more enthusiasm. We have all had a terrible cold spreading from one child to another. I just went to the doctor Monday for myself and two of the kids. Last night Duane took three of the children to the doctor and included himself in the line up!!!! Those of you who know Duane realize for him to seek a doctor is shocking. Now most of us are on antibiotics in the house.


I have dossier paper work that I needed to do today. But, I keep trying to cut myself a little slack so I am not mentally exhausted when we travel to meet Katie Aunna. There is still much work ahead of us in the preparation of our dossier. I have prayed about her all day today and for another couple (paper-chasing today) who will be going into the same region where our daughter lives. My life over the last year has been on my mind today. It is such a blessing that we will be able to go back to Russia.


At this time last year I was stressing in a hotel suite in Belgrade, Serbia. Pacing the floor with two little kids watching me. I know they were wondering why Mommy was so upset. The innocent trust of children. How I wish I always had the trust in the Lord like a little child. I heard a sermon that being a Christian means a lifelong repetition of messing up and asking for forgiveness. That would be me. At times, for reasons I can not fully discuss, I have lagged on trusting my Father. However, He has almost physically proven his strength to me, even over the power of our government.


God is in control and Jesus reigns over all men!!!


One year ago today.....We had custody of John-John and we were in the final phase of processing out. Duane had left for the American Embassy all by himself in Belgrade. He was suppose to pick up John's passport with that beautiful American Visa in place at 2:00pm. I laid down with the kids when he left at 1:30. No, I did not sleep!!! As I tip-toed around, to allow the babies to sleep, I packed for home. I was trying to figure out a way to pack Mary's new European style potty!!! I have not been able to find one in the USA and she was getting good about going on the "wittle pink pooh pot" (her words). Now the hustle of the city was picking up and Duane had not returned. In fact, it was getting dark outside!!! Have I mentioned that I am sick of diapers?.......ha ha.


I should know by now that God has made Duane into a very strong man with a sweet personality. He's just so cool that he can go into any big foreign city and I always feel safe with him. Duane has been my best friend and my spouse for almost 35 years now. The fear kept creeping into my mind as several hours had past since he left our hotel. True that we are to "fear not"...but gee, this was a huge city in a foreign country and we were in downtown Belgrade. So, I just could not handle anymore waiting. I had to try and call Duane on the international cell phone we were using and NO answer.


It was 7:00pm and I knew very good and well that the American Embassy would have closed HOURS ago!!! I tried so hard not to let bad images flash into my mind. The kids were getting hungry and beginning to feel my high stress level. I decided to call room service and get them some food. About 7:30 the food came and still no Duane. I got on the phone to Dr. J. She was talking to me in a very nervous voice as she too could not imagine. Just when we were trying to decide what to do, I heard the key go into our door.


Such a beautiful sight....my husband was home. I told Dr. J that Duane just walked into the door!!! He got this huge hug and a little whimpering out of me. He told me that the American Embassy was so nice to him. He had waited until it was time for them to close and they did not have John's passport/Visa ready. They stayed LATE and completed John's paperwork, as we had nonrefundable tickets, to fly home on February 7, 2007!!!!


Then he walked home through the streets of Belgrade as he could not get a taxi to stop for him!!!!! Wow...what a brave soldier of God. He acted as though "Honey, why are you fearful???" Oh my goodness, my hero, we were flying out to home. In my hands was what appears like US currency....John's American Visa and my best friend safe by my side. Praise to God for his faithful servant who had such courage. Tomorrow, I will work on our dossier, which will bring a new life, into our family.






No comments: